Thursday, February 2, 2012

Repurposing A Sweater... into a pillow!

I recently bought a new bedspread (from Target). I just LOVE it. I have been wanting some cute 'throw' pillows to spruce it  up a bit though. While I was at Epic (a local thrift store) a few weeks ago, I began looking through the sweater section to find a color/ pattern I liked. I also picked up a pillow I liked (for shape/ size since it would just be recovered). I did this because it was only $1, made my life easier, and I had a coupon!

When I got home I started by seam-ripping the old pillow apart... and pulled out all the stuffing....
Then I layed my sweater out nice and flat... and placed the old pillow covering on top of it (you might want to iron it...)
  I cut around the pillowcase... Don't forget to add a seam allowance! I used about 1/2 an inch but I just eye-balled it


Then, with right sides TOGETHER I stitched around the outside of my new pillow cover...(I used a zig-zag stitch as it provided less pull on the fabric...) 


And left a small opening to restuff the pillow.... Then turned my new pillowcase right side out.



Now, originally I had just planned on re-stuffing the pillow with the stuffing that was in it originally.... However, this did not turn out like I had planned... The sweater material isnt stiff enough to hold its shape so it was lumpy...



So I unstuffed my pillow, stuffed the batting back into the original pillowcase and sewed the original pillowcase back together... then I slid my new pillowcase over the old one... (If you end up doing this you will still need to take apart the original so you can see how big to cut your sweater material)

I folded the open edge inside itself and stitched the opening closed! (sorry I forgot to take a picture!)

My new Pillow! all for about... $3... and I still have leftover sweater material! (Baby leggings are in the plans....) More pillows are also in the plans... as this little accent pillow is lovely.. but not enough to satisfy me!



(sorry, my bed is slightly messy... made... but messy...) :)


*your sweater material may stretch out a little during sewing.. but should shrink again once washed for a more snug fit

No comments:

Post a Comment